Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Busy in the Attic

This evening, I finally have something to show for all the hours I've spent in the attic.  Since the attic is a place I hope to not frequent after the insulation is added, I still thought it was necessary to have a "landing pad" when the attic door is removed for access. Also, it provides a place to not worry about balancing on ceiling rafters and, potentially, stepping through the plaster ceiling.

I know it's over engineered, but it's definitely built to last.  A lot of platforms in attics have no insulation beneath them.  I ensured there was, at least, some insulation.  Since this is located over part of the hallway and a closet, there wasn't much concern about under insulating the area.  I was able to get the insulation to R30 using Roxul (Rock Wool) batts.  It's specifically designed for 2x4 framing.  It's not cheap but it's really dense, high quality insulation.
First layer of Roxul (R15) w/ the added framing
Second and final layer of Roxul (R15) w/ a total of R30
Originally, I was planning on using plywood for the decking, but, at the last moment, I opted for 6-inch wide planks. It eliminates any flex in the flooring, which was a concern due to having a section span of 20 inches OC (on center).
Finished and deemed by my Wife as solid enough to dance on!
The next step will be to add a plywood perimeter to keep the blown-in insulation from spilling onto the decking and attic hatch. This attic project is definitely taking up more time than I anticipated...

No comments:

Post a Comment