Tuesday, September 10, 2019

It's a Kohler!

In a previous post, I mentioned how I thought the tub in our bathroom was made by Kohler, specifically, a "Cardinal" corner rolled-lip tub.  The problem was, I had no verifiable proof, since I could not find any markings on the side of the tub.  But, it did match the exact dimensions I had seen in a 1925 hardware catalog. Well, that assumption is now a fact and the markings were not on the side of the tub.  Very early this morning (6am), I was cleaning some of the old mortar and glue off the lip of the tub where a previous homeowner decided to try and convert the space into a traditional apron-style tub alcove.  I was cleaning the tub because the plumber is supposed to be here today to install the tub faucet, supply lines, and waste line; I wanted the mounting surfaces to be squeaky clean.

Kohler U.S.A.

As I was making my way around the top of the tub edge, there it was, "plain" as day. Well, ok, fairly faded, but still legible in blue--"Kohler U.S.A.".  To say I was a little excited is an understatement!  Now, I can justify to my Wife the cost of putting a high-end Kohler toilet and sink in the bathroom. Things have to match, right?  Below is a page copy from an original 1925 hardware catalog showing the tub.


Top tub is the correct model
The bathroom is moving along and, now, is nearing completion--fingers crossed. Here is a pic of the tub ready for the faucet installation.

Kohler stamp was in the top right portion of this pic on the top of the tub

No comments:

Post a Comment