Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Zirkel House

Out of curiosity, I recently visited the Colorado Springs Carnegie Library to see if I could find out who has lived in the house.  I looked through dozens of City Directories going all the way back to 1928. I was, mainly, interested in the earlier years. It would be interesting to gain some understanding of the history of the house and, possibly, contact any surviving relatives.

Here is the timeline from 1928 until present.  The longest timeline of occupancy was by a professional carpenter named Henry Zirkel (b.1894-d.1990) and his Wife, Viola (b.1903-d.2001).  They owned the house for 39 years.  In their memory, I'll refer to our house as "The Zirkel House".


When I have the opportunity, I plan on visiting the local county assessors office to research the official ownership records. City Directories do not necessarily reflect ownership, but, instead, occupancy.  I am confident in the timeline for the Zirkel's, however, as I can search online property records back to the date when they sold the home.  I have my suspicions on who was the first owner of the house and it has it's own interesting story.  I will need to research it further before I'm certain they were, indeed, the original owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment